The Museum Interpreter serves as the front line of the museum experience responsible for welcoming museum visitors, processing admissions, and conducting guided tours of Wilton House Museum. This position reports to the Director of Visitor Experience.
Wilton House Museum is an AAM-accredited historic house museum and the headquarters of The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia (NSCDA-VA). The purpose of the Museum Interpreter is to advance our mission and enhance the museum visitor experience.
Hours and Compensation
This is a part-time position of 15-20 hours a week, the majority of which to be worked on Saturday (8) and/or Sunday (4). This employee is expected to work a regularly scheduled workweek with any changes to the above schedule approved in advance.
This position pays $12.00 an hour. This position has no paid time off or benefits.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of Wilton House Museum on the weekends.
- Conduct guided tours of Wilton House Museum for daily visitors and scheduled groups.
- Process visitor admission and capture essential demographic information to include handling cash, credit cards, and checks for museum store and admissions income.
- Work with museum docents and staff to maintain museum standards i.e. protecting the collection, security, and responding to emergency or incident.
- Respond to visitor inquiries on the collection, exhibitions, and programs.
- Attend on-going docent training and professional development.
- Assist with occasional weekend programs and evening events.
- Provide general administrative support for the organization as directed by the Director of Visitor Experience.
- Experience in a non-profit/museum environment.
- An interest in early American history and a passion for education.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers and staff of diverse ages and backgrounds.
- Willing and able to amplify marginalized voices and perspectives to facilitate deeper understanding, inclusivity, and equity.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work weekends.
- Experience in leading guided tours preferred.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Erica Blake, Director of Visitor Experience, at email@example.com.